Growing as I serve the Lord for two years and love the people for a lifetime

Monday, September 29, 2014

Don't Drink The Yogurt And Other Lessons

How's it going back home? Hopefully well. 


Every week, we do this thing called CRE. Don't ask what it stands for, because I ask all the time and I still don't get it. But this week, one of my buddies in my district was doing a lesson with "investigators" from the Black Jesus church (there is a church in Esquipulas, Guatemala that is well known for it's black Christ shrine). The lesson was going well, so they decided to ask the investigators to get baptized. He said, "Seguira el ejemplo de Jesucristo blanco?" That was the best part of my week. 

Elder Gurksnis said something interesting this week. We were all reading our scriptures quietly and he says, "Reading the scriptures is kind of like going on your phone back home. That's just kind of what you do. And all of the videos we watch (we watch a lot of super cheesy church videos) are like the best movies ever." So yeah, one month in and "The District" is almost as good as "The Office."

Elder Aubrey said another thing this week. We were just hanging out as a district, and Elder Aubrey just asks, "Who's Nick Moe?" I think we were talking about NCMO a few minutes earlier. Aubrey is a funny kid. He keeps us sane. 

Last night, we watched a taped broadcast of a Jeffrey R Holland devotional. I knew that it was going to be good anyway, but he invited a couple elders up to ask questions, and one of them was Evan Starr! So It was really cool to see that. He was talking about how PMG (Preach My Gospel) came about because missionaries were able to come home and then still go inactive. He said "I don't want to think about losing the sheep, but I can't even conceive losing the shepherd." So that was pretty powerful. 

We had a sub one night, and we were playing a game where you'd throw around a hackie sack and if it went to you, you'd say a word that started with the letter that the teacher wrote on the board. The letter was "M". I had gotten it 3 times, and I couldn't think of any more words, so I said "Maricon." I'll let you look that up. Or maybe don't. But I had to write "I am a missionary, I will use correct language," on the board. 

Well, I guess my time had to come. I've had diarrhea all week. Still haven't crapped my pants, but I think it'll happen soon. This is all for this week. I love and miss you all. 


Adios

-Elder Konold

Here are the questions for the week with the (short) responses:

1.  Did you get new people in your room?  Are they all Latinos or do you have some Americans?
 No one yet, but we probably will on Wednesday.

2.  What are you looking forward to seeing in the city?  Wendy's - they better have Coke

3.  Are you getting sick of the rain and storms each day? Not at all!

4.  How often have you gone to the temple?  Do you attend a session in Spanish or English?  We go to the temple every week and we do work in English.

5.  What was your favorite experience from this week? "Jesucristo Blanco" (see above)

6.  What has been the biggest lesson you have learned so far? Don't drink the Yogurt

No comments:

Post a Comment